The following items will be verified by the Graduate School to clear graduate students for graduation (see the GS Graduation Clearance Requirements):
- Students must be enrolled at Virginia Tech in the term in which the degree is awarded.
- Filing of Application for Degree, payment of fee. This form makes an individual degree completion checklist available to the student on Hokie SPA. It must be submitted prior to the last day of classes of the term in which the student intends to graduate.
- Submission of the Request to Schedule Final Examination, two weeks before the proposed examination date for students who have been enrolled during the last year. For those who have been out of residence for more than a year, and require Readmission, the Readmission process should be completed before requesting the Final Examination.
- Taking Final Examination.
- Submitting the final version of the thesis or dissertation, approved by the student's Advisory Committee through the Electronic Signature System, as an Electronic Dissertation or Thesis (ETD) within two weeks after the defense.
- Submitting any applicable supporting documentation for the ETD (e.g., copyright permission letters to reproduce items from other publications, Institutional Research Board approval or exemption notices (if appropriate), UMI form, Survey of Earned Doctorates).
- Payment of the archiving fee which is required of students at the time the ETD is submitted.
- Degree Completion requires ETD approval by the Graduate School and completion of all other requirements for the degree.